In this post we show you how to check the Toyota Camry engine oil.. It’s important to check the engine oil level of your car between services, especially when travelling
With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil level on the dipstick.
Checking the engine oil
- Park the vehicle on level ground. After warming up the engine and turning it off, wait more than 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the bottom of the engine.
- Holding a rag under the end, pull the dipstick out
- Wipe the dipstick clean.
- Reinsert the dipstick fully.
- Holding a rag under the end, pull the dipstick out and check the oil level.
The shape of the dipstick may differ depending on the type of vehicle or engine.
- Wipe the dipstick and reinsert it fully.
Adding engine oil
If the oil level is below or near the low level mark, add engine oil of the same type as that already in the engine.
Make sure to check the oil type and prepare the items needed before adding oil.
Oil quantity (Low -> Full)
- 2.5 L 4-cylinder (A25A-FKS) engine
1.6 qt. (1.5 L, 1.3 Imp. qt.)
- 3.5 L V6 (2GR-FKS) engine
1.9 qt. (1.8 L, 1.6 lmp. qt.)
- Remove the oil filler cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Add engine oil slowly, checking the dipstick.
- Install the oil filler cap by turning it clockwise.
Engine oil consumption
A certain amount of engine oil will be consumed while driving. In the following situations, oil consumption may increase, and engine oil may need to be refilled in between oil maintenance intervals.
- When the engine is new, for example directly after purchasing the vehicle or after replacing the engine
- If low quality oil or oil of an inappropriate viscosity is used
- When driving at high engine speeds or with a heavy load, or when driving while accelerating or decelerating frequently
- When leaving the engine idling for a long time, or when driving frequently through heavy traffic
Used engine oil
- Used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may cause skin disorders such as inflammation and skin cancer, so care should be taken to avoid prolonged and repeated contact. To remove used engine oil from your skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- Dispose of used oil and filters only in a safe and acceptable manner. Do not dispose of used oil and filters in household trash, in sewers or onto the ground.
Call your Toyota dealer, service station or auto parts store for information concerning recycling or disposal.
- Do not leave used engine oil within the reach of children.
To prevent serious engine damage
Check the oil level on a regular basis.
When replacing the engine oil
- Be careful not to spill engine oil on the vehicle components.
- Avoid overfilling, or the engine could be damaged.
- Check the oil level on the dipstick every time you refill the vehicle.
- Be sure the engine oil filler cap is properly tightened.
If oil is spilled on the engine cover (2.5 L 4-cylinder [A25A-FKS] engine)
To prevent the engine cover from being damaged, remove any engine oil from the engine cover as soon as possible using a neutral detergent. Do not use an organic solvent such as brake cleaner.