Toyota Camry Automatic Air Conditioning system is comprised of multiple, smaller systems that work together to maintain a comfortable cabin environment. The Air Conditioning system is able to affect and regulate the internal temperature of a vehicle through a cycle of processes.
Air outlets and fan speed are automatically adjusted according to the temperature setting.
Air conditioning controls
Adjusting the temperature setting
To adjust the temperature setting, turn AUTO clockwise to increase the temperature and counterclockwise to decrease the temperature.
If AC is not pressed, the system will blow ambient temperature air or heated air.
Fan speed setting
To adjust the fan speed, turn AC clockwise to increase the fan speed and counterclockwise to decrease the fan speed.
Press OFF to turn the fan off.
Change the airflow mode
To change the airflow mode, press left arrow or right arrow button.
- Air flows to the upper body.
- Air flows to the upper body and feet.
- Air flows to the feet.
- Air flows to the feet and the windshield defogger operates.
Using automatic mode
- Press AUTO
The dehumidification function begins to operate. Air outlets and fan speed are automatically adjusted according to the temperature setting.
- Adjust the temperature setting.
- To stop the operation, press OFF
Automatic mode indicator
If the fan speed setting or air flow modes are operated, the automatic mode indicator goes off. However, automatic mode for functions other than that operated is maintained.
Switching between outside air and recirculated air modes
Press air flows button. The mode switches between outside air mode (indicator off) and recirculated air mode (indicator on) each time this button is pressed.
Defogging the windshield
Defoggers are used to defog the windshield and front side windows.
Press FRONT button. The dehumidification function operates and fan speed increases.
Set the outside/recirculated air mode button to the outside air mode if the recirculated air mode is used. (It may switch automatically.) To defog the windshield and the side windows early, turn the air flow and temperature up. To return to the previous mode, press FRONT again when the windshield
Defogging the rear window and outside rear view mirrors
- Vehicles without outside rear view mirror defoggers
A defogger is used to defog the rear window.
Press REAR button. The defogger will automatically turn off after a period of time.
- Vehicles with outside rear view mirror defoggers
Defoggers are used to defog the rear window, and to remove raindrops, dew and frost from the outside rear view mirrors.
Press . The defoggers will automatically turn off after a period of time.
Location of air outlets
The air outlets and air volume change according to the selected airflow mode.
Adjusting the position of and opening and closing the air outlets
- Direct air flow to the left or right, up or down.
- Turn the knob to open or close the vent.
Using automatic mode
Fan speed is adjusted automatically according to the temperature setting and the ambient conditions. Therefore, the fan may stop for a while until warm or cool air is ready to flow immediately after AUTO is pressed.
Fogging up of the windows
- The windows will easily fog up when the humidity in the vehicle is high.
Turning AC on will dehumidify the air from the outlets and defog the windshield effectively.
- If you turn AC off, the windows may fog up more easily.
- The windows may fog up if the recirculated air mode is used.
When driving on dusty roads
Close all windows. If dust thrown up by the vehicle is still drawn into the vehicle after closing the windows, it is recommended that the air intake mode be set to outside air mode and the fan speed to any setting except off.
Outside/recirculated air mode
- Setting to the recirculated air mode temporarily is recommended in preventing dirty air from entering the vehicle interior and helping to cool the vehicle when the outside air temperature is high.
- Outside/recirculated air mode may automatically switch depending on the temperature setting or the inside temperature.
When the outside temperature exceeds 75°F (24°C) and the air conditioning system is on
- In order to reduce the air conditioning power consumption, the air conditioning system may switch to recirculated air mode automatically. This may also reduce fuel consumption.
- Vehicles without a smart key system:
Recirculated air mode is selected as a default mode when the engine switch is turned to the “ON” position.
Vehicles with a smart key system:
Recirculated air mode is selected as a default mode when the engine switch is turned to IGNITION ON mode.
- It is possible to switch to outside air mode at any time by pressing air flows button
When the outside temperature is low
The dehumidification function may not operate even when AC is pressed.
Operation of the air conditioning system in Eco drive mode (if equipped)
- In the Eco drive mode, the air conditioning system is controlled as shown below to prioritize fuel efficiency.
Fan speed restricted when automatic mode is selected
- To improve air conditioning performance, perform the following operations:
- Adjust the fan speed
- Turn off Eco drive mode
Ventilation and air conditioning odors
- To let fresh air in, set the air conditioning system to the outside air mode.
- During use, various odors from inside and outside the vehicle may enter into and accumulate in the air conditioning system. This may then cause odor to be emitted from the vents.
- To reduce potential odors from occurring:
- It is recommended that the air conditioning system be set to outside air mode prior to turning the vehicle off.
- The start timing of the blower may be delayed for a short period of time immediately after the air conditioning system is started in automatic mode.