The fuel tank cap on Toyota Camry must be opened from inside the vehicle by press and hold the opener switch located on the front of the driver’s seat.
Before refueling the vehicle
- Close all the doors and windows, and turn the engine switch off.
- Confirm the type of fuel.
- When refueling the vehicle
Observe the following precautions while refueling the vehicle. Failure to do so may result in death or serious injury.
- After exiting the vehicle and before opening the fuel door, touch an unpainted metal surface to discharge any static electricity. It is important to discharge static electricity before refueling because sparks resulting from static electricity can cause fuel vapors to ignite while refueling.
- Always hold the grips on the fuel tank cap and turn it slowly to remove it. A whooshing sound may be heard when the fuel tank cap is loosened. Wait until the sound cannot be heard before fully removing the cap. In hot weather, pressurized fuel may spray out the filler neck and cause injury.
- Do not allow anyone that has not discharged static electricity from their body to come close to an open fuel tank.
- Do not inhale vaporized fuel. Fuel contains substances that are harmful if inhaled.
- Do not smoke while refueling the vehicle.
Doing so may cause the fuel to ignite and cause a fire.
- Do not return to the vehicle or touch any person or object that is statically charged.
This may cause static electricity to build up, resulting in a possible ignition hazard.
- When refueling
Observe the following precautions to prevent fuel overflowing from the fueltank:
- Securely insert the fuel nozzle into the fuel filler neck.
- Stop filling the tank after the fuel nozzle automatically clicks off.
- Do not top off the fuel tank.
Opening the fuel tank cap
Press and hold the opener switch to open the fuel filler door.
Turn the fuel tank cap slowly to remove it and hang it on the back of the fuel filler door.
Closing the fuel tank cap
After refueling, turn the fuel tank cap until you hear a click. Once the cap is released, it will turn slightly in the opposite direction.
If the fuel filler door cannot be opened
Remove the cover inside the trunk and pull the lever.
When “Check Fuel Cap” is displayed on the multi-information display
The fuel tank cap may be unfastened or loose. Turn the engine switch off, check the cap and tighten it securely. If the message remains, wait a few seconds and then turn the engine switch off once again.
When replacing the fuel tank cap
Do not use anything but a genuine Toyota fuel tank cap designed for your vehicle. Doing so may cause a fire or other incident which may result in death or serious injury.