Before you start driving an automatic transmission on Toyota Camry, you must first understand a few basics to guarantee your safety.
Shifting the shift lever
Vehicles without a smart key system:
While the engine switch is in the “ON” position and the brake pedal depressed*, shift the shift lever while pushing the shift release button on the shift knob.
Vehicles with a smart key system:
- While the engine switch is in IGNITION ON mode and the brake pedal depressed*, shift the shift lever while pushing the shift release button on the shift knob.
- Shift the shift lever while pushing the shift release button on the shift knob.
- Shift the shift lever normally.
- When shifting the shift lever between P and D, make sure that the vehicle is completely stopped and the brake pedal is depressed.
*: For the vehicle be able to be shifted from P, the brake pedal must be depressed before the shift release button is pushed. If the shift release button is pushed first, the shift lock will not be released.
Shift position purpose
|Shift position||Objective or function|
|P||Parking the vehicle/starting the engine|
|S||S mode driving*2|
*1: Shifting to the D position allows the system to select a gear suitable for the driving conditions. Setting the shift lever to the D position is recommended for normal driving.
*2: Selecting shift ranges using S mode restricts the upper limit of the possible gear ranges, controls engine braking force, and prevents unnecessary upshifting.
Changing shift ranges in S mode
When the shift lever is in the S position, the shift lever or paddle shift switches (if equipped) can be operated as follows:
The initial shift range in S mode is set automatically to 4, 5 or 6 according to vehicle speed. However, the initial shift range may be set to 3 if AI-SHIFT has operated while the shift lever was in the D position.
*1: Vehicles with 4.2-inch display
*2: Vehicles with 7-inch display
Shift ranges and their functions
|S2-S8||A gear in the range between 1 and the selected gear is automatically chosen depending on vehicle speed and driving conditions|
|S1||Setting the gear at 1|
A lower shift range will provide greater engine braking forces than a higher shift range.
Selecting shift ranges in the D position (vehicles with paddle shift switches)
To drive using temporary shift range selection, operate the paddle shift switch. The shift range can then be selected by operating the “-” and “+” paddle shift switches. Changing the shift range allows restriction of the highest gear, preventing upshifting and enabling the level of engine braking force to be selected.
The selected shift range, from 1 to 8, or D will be displayed on the multi-information display.
Automatic deactivation of shift range selection in the D position (vehicles with paddle shift switches)
Shift range selection in the D position will be deactivated in the following situ-ations:
- The “+” paddle shift switch is held down for a period of time
- When the vehicle comes to a stop
- If the accelerator pedal is depressed for more than a certain period of time
- When the shift lever is shifted to a position other than D
- When the shift range is 7 or lower, holding the shift lever toward “+” sets the shift range to 8.
- To prevent the engine from over-revving, upshifting may automatically occur.
- To protect the automatic transmission, a function is adopted that automatically selects a higher shift range when the fluid temperature is high.
Downshift restriction warning buzzer (S mode or paddle shifting)
To help ensure safety and driving performance, downshifting operation may sometimes be restricted. In some circumstances, downshifting may not be possible even when the shift lever or paddle shift switches are operated. (A buzzer will sound twice.)
When driving with dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range or dynamic radar cruise control or cruise control activated
Even when performing the following actions with the intent of enabling engine braking, engine braking will not occur because cruise control or dynamic radar cruise control with full speed range or dynamic radar cruise control will not be canceled.
- While driving in D or S mode, downshifting to 7, 6, 5 or 4.
- When switching the driving mode to sport mode while driving in the D position.
Shift lock system
The shift lock system is a system to prevent accidental operation of the shift lever in starting.
The shift lever can be shifted from P only when the engine switch is in the “ON” position (vehicles without a smart key system) or IGNITION ON mode (vehicles with a smart key system), the brake pedal is depressed and the shift release button is pushed.
If the shift lever cannot be shifted from P
First, check whether the brake pedal is being depressed.
If the shift lever cannot be shifted even though the brake pedal is depressed and the shift release button is pushed, there may be a problem with the shift lock system. Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer immediately. The following steps may be used as an emergency measure to ensure that the shift lever can be shifted.
Releasing the shift lock:
- Set the parking brake.
- Vehicles without a smart key system: Turn the engine switch to the “LOCK” position.
Vehicles with a smart key system: Turn the engine switch off.
- Depress the brake pedal.
- Pry the cover up with a flathead screwdriver or equivalent tool.
To prevent damage to the cover, cover the tip of the screwdriver with a rag.
- Press and hold the shift lock override button and then push the button on the shift knob.
The shift lever can be shifted while both buttons are pressed.
If the S indicator does not come on or the D indicator is displayed even after shifting the shift lever to S
This may indicate a malfunction in the automatic transmission system. Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer immediately.
(In this situation, the transmission will operate in the same manner as when the shift lever is in D.)
The AI-SHIFT automatically selects the suitable gear according to driver performance and driving conditions.
The AI-SHIFT automatically operates when the shift lever is in D. (Shifting the shift lever to the S position or paddle shifting cancels the function.)
When driving on slippery road surfaces
- Do not accelerate or shift gears suddenly.
- Sudden changes in engine braking may cause the vehicle to spin or skid, resulting in an accident.
To prevent an accident when releasing the shift lock
- Before pressing the shift lock override button, make sure to set the parking brake and depress the brake pedal.
- If the accelerator pedal is accidentally depressed instead of the brake pedal when the shift lock override button is pressed and the shift lever is shifted out of P, the vehicle may suddenly start, possibly leading to an accident resulting in death or serious injury.